It is 1929 in New York and the city is divided by gang warfare. On one side, Dandy Dan’s mob terrorise the district, taking out those they turn against with their new splurge guns. On the other side, Dandy Dan’s rival, Fat Sam, runs his successful Grand Slam Speakeasy. There, he deals with business and enjoys the attentions of his girlfriend, the seductive Tallulah. However Sam is jealous of Dandy Dan’s gang as he still uses old-fashioned custard pies to take out their victims. When Fat Sam’s gang is brutally splurged and his empire under severe threat, he engages the help of Bugsy Malone, a smooth-talking man about town. While Bugsy simultaneously attempts to woo Blousey Brown, the new-girl singer in town, he helps Fat Sam steal a fresh delivery of splurge guns from Dandy Dan. However Bugsy’s efforts cost him his relationship with Blousey after he lets her down by not taking her to Hollywood as promised. Returning to the speakeasy, Blousey and the rest of Fat Sam’s crew are unaware of Dandy Dan’s intent for revenge. His mob burst into the speakeasy and chaos ensues. Splurge, custard pies, and flour bombs fly across the bar. As the pandemonium comes to a sticky end, it emerges that Bugsy and Blousey have reconciled and there is finally peace between the two rival gangs.
Bugsy Malone is the hero of our story. This role is equal parts Jimmy Stewart, James Bond and Gene Kelly. Bugsy alternates as the narrator and the star of the show. We are looking for someone who radiates a sense of charm and sincerity as well as a street-wise sensibility. Male.
Blousey is at first the typical young, wide-eyed, would-be star, just off the bus from a small town. However, we find out that Blousey is a force to be reckoned with and certainly nobody’s fool. Female.
Fat Sam is the baddest of the bad guys whose biggest rival is Dandy Dan. Fat Sam should be an adept physical comedian with a commanding stage presence. Male.
Tallulah is the classic gangster’s moll. She needs to be self-confident with the ability to deliver the role with deadpan sincerity and droll appeal. Tallulah is a Mae West type with a talent for performing. Female.
Dandy Dan is the unflappably stylish, debonair underworld businessman who outwits Fat Sam every step of the way. This needs to be an actor with just the right sense of style and grace. Male.
Fizzy is an employee of Fat Sam’s at the Grand Slam, whose duties involve cleaning up the place. The actor who plays Fizzy needs to be a strong singer, dancer and actor who can deliver Fizzy’s sad-eyed hopes and dreams as he sweeps up. Male.
Captain Smolsky & Lietenant O’Dreary
Captain Smolsky & Lietenant O’Dreary are the bumbling police officers who try to foil Fat Sam and Dandy Dan’s messy plans. We are looking for two actors with good chemistry who can play off each other for great comedic effect. Male or Female.
Leroy Smith is a big guy with an even bigger punch! Discovered by Bugsy after he saves him from a gang, we need an actor who can play this lovable but slightly dim-witted character. Male
Cagey Joe runs Cagey Joe’s Boxing Club where Leroy is taken to train. Cagey then helps Bugsy with his plan to steal the splurge import. Male or Female.
Fat Sam’s Gang
Fat Sam’s Gang includes Roxy Robinson, Angelo, Snake Eyes, Ritzy, Shake Down Louis, and Sam’s right hand man, Knuckles. These fellows are bumbling, funny, non-threatening hoodlums. We are looking for actors who should be able to sing with gusto and be willing to work on the rigors of physical comedy. Male or Female.
Dandy Dan’s Gang
Dandy’s gang members are really bad guys. Also known as The Hoods, they sing a little, but they splurge a lot! We are looking for suave-looking types who can pull off slicked-back hair and double-breasted suits. The Hoods
include: Bronx Charlie, Benny Lee, Yonkers, Laughing Boy and Doodle. Male or Female.
Lena Marelli is the star of the “Lena Marelli Show!,” and she lets everyone know it. We are looking for someone that can TAKE OVER THE STAGE with a strong singing voice. Lena is not very bright, but she is very loud. Think Lina Lamont from Singin’ In The Rain. Female.
The Tallulah’s Girls perform at the speakeasy, and they include Tillie, Loretta, Dotty and Bangles. They are basically Tallulah’s gang! Female.
These roles are featured comedic parts that do not require great singers: Oscar De Velt is the stage equivalent of Cecil B. Demille. A strong, confident actor will fit the bill here. Marbini the Magician and the Ventriloquist are two wonderfully funny smaller roles in the audition scene with Oscar De Velt. Both of them are convinced they are world famous. Male or Female.
The Down And Outs
The Down and Outs are representative of out-of-work Depression era men and women of the soup kitchens, which include the Cooks serving in the kitchens. The Down and Outs are ready for a cause and helping Bugsy bring peace between Fat Sam and Dandy Dan is just what the doctor ordered. Male or Female.
Ensemble roles include:
The Radio Announcer, Paper Boy (or Girl), Razmataz, Maître D’s, Elegantly Dressed Lady, Waitress, Louella, the Butler, the Line of Auditionees at the Bijoux, Pop Becker, the Barber and Flash Frankie. These are all good comic roles. Male or Female.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your audition time to register, be photographed and prepare with the script.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes that you are able to move in.
- Be prepared to have fun and try something new.
- We may film auditions for the purpose of recalling specifics of auditions while casting. When the casting process is completed all video footage will be destroyed. (You will need to give consent to be filmed when registering for your audition.) Not wishing to be film will not preclude you from an audition.
- Auditions are generally 5 – 15 minutes. You will be asked to sing 1 song as outlined above.
- You may be asked to read a piece of script from the show. You will have a chance to see the script before your audition (after registering).
- You will possibly be asked to complete a short dance sequence depending on the character you are auditioning for.
- You may be required for a call back dancing/singing or acting.You will be notified by phone if required. Not being called back, does not mean you are not being considered for a role.
- Shows are complex and many require actors to portray multiple characters.
- Prepare 1 song in the style of the show (not from the Show).
- It is unlikely you will sing the whole song, so if you are stopped before you are finished your song it is no indication of the success of your audition.
- A piano accompanist is available for certain audition times only – so please check this carefully when booking your time.
- CD or auxiliary port (iPod, iPhone) backing tracks are welcome. Backing tracks only. Please do not sing along with the actual track.
- Please be very clear on your audition form regarding previous dance experience, including styles studied and time period. Also include teachers you’ve studied under.
- Please be prepared to demonstrate a move (or two) during your audition of any dancing styles you’ve studied.
- Dance Call Backs may be conducted if required.
HINTS & TIPS
Auditions are never as scary as you think they are going to be! But you can do things to make them slightly easier!
- Choose a song that you really enjoy and know it well.
- Rehearse the song with an accompanist or backing track. (There will be an accompanist at some auditions but you can use a backing track if you prefer)
- Sing it in several different places before the audition day.
- Sing it to some other people before the day.
- Wear comfortable clothes that you think you look good in.
- Come into the audition with high energy ready to try anything new. (You may be asked to try something you think is silly, how you react to requests tells the panel about you as a potential cast member)
- Show the Panel your strengths and enjoy showing them.
- We want you to be good. it’s not a competition.
- We’re not judging you! It is not “X factor” or “Australia’s Got Talent”!!!
- We are looking for members of a team who want to put on a show!
- We are trying to see your strengths and so what we ask you to do will help.
- Enjoy! Enjoy!! ENJOY!!!
967 total views, 11 views today